Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Musings


Easter always makes me think of my younger sister who died three years ago. Her name was Barbara, friends called her Barb, but family called her Bunnie. The picture above was a tribute to her at the wake my daughters had the day before her funeral. She collected bunny memorabilia. Anyone who wanted to took one home with them.

Mom was great about having our portraits done regularly. She took us to the photo area of the May Company and they did a great job (as you can see from the picture of Bunnie at about age 5, above).

This is a school picture when Barb was around eleven (judging from her teeth). She was a great kid but a real handful for my mom. Bunnie was born when I was thirteen - a surprise as my dad had been told by his doctor he would never father anymore children!

As an adult she moved to Phoenix. My dad soon followed her and they lived together for the rest of his life. She provided him a good home.

Barb was a chef and she also trained wait staff at the various restaurants where she worked.

She got sick in September of 2006 and died November first of the same year. She had undiagnosed colon cancer. Her death is a real tragedy. We lost a sister and daughter and her son lost his mother.


So this blog entry is a tribute to my sister, Bunnie, who I miss just as much today as I did the day she died.