Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sketchbook project



I may have mentioned that I joined the sketchbook project with Art House Co-op. Participants select a theme from a long list, I choose "It's Raining Cats and Dogs", and buys the sketchbook. One can also elect to have the completed sketchbook digitized for an additional $20 fee (the sketchbook fee is $25). I did go the whole nine yards and paid to have my book digitized. I must return it by Jan. 2011. The Co-op sends participants a bar coded sketchbook, info on the project, and a library card for the Brooklyn Art Library. The completed books will go on tour and afterwards, be available for the general public to look at.

When I graduated fro CCAC (now CCA :() my artistic goal was to have one of my pieces in The Whitney Museum of Art in NYC. This is cool as it will be in a museum in New York!

The problem is ......... it is a brand new EMPTY sketchbook. The first drawing is always the hardest. Plus, I want it to be spectacular. I have always told my students to "just draw!" and now I don't seem to be able to.



I have been practicing in my current sketchbook which feels pretty lame. Artquiltmaker suggested I make lists of what I want in the book and I have done that, too. Still not inspired. But I have heard, and just remembered that art is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. In other words (thanks Nike) JUST DO IT!

My favorite drawing/watercolor teacher at CCAC (now retired), Richard Gayton, gave me some hints on how to start a new sketchbook. One was to leave a few of the front pages blank so you didn't have to look at a crappy (my word, not his!) first drawing. A trick I do too, is to start on the very back page as one must improve as on goes forward, right?

Well, after all this sniveling I am going to go back and read the Art House Co-op info on the project and see if that inspires me.

Pretty cool dog drawing, above, I think. Maybe I can do this.........

No comments: