Thursday, February 25, 2010

Red twisted knit scarf


I finally finished the second twisted knit scarf! I corraled my grandchild into modeling it for me! The first one I did (see the 11-9-09 post) I neglected to follow directions but it turned out interesting anyway! This one I followed the directions. It was much easier to do and worked faster. I was so pleased with the way it turned out that I decided I was ready to tackle a sweater. I had seen a pattern for a sweater-vest last fall while perusing pattern books. I managed to find the same book and purchased it, needles and a huge skein of cheap black yarn. I was down visiting my Mom in SoCal at the time. It would have been a good idea for me to just buy the book with the pattern in it first, I later found out. I did do a gauge swatch which is new and different behaviour for me! I cast-on and merrily knitted away, only having a little trouble keeping all the stitches on the straight needles. Then disaster struck! The end of one of the needlles came off! I went back to square one and read all the instructions! Wow, what a revelation! I needed round needles! The other ittle problem I noticed was that cheap yarn is really difficult to knit.

On my errands the other day I came across a lovely little yarn shop in Dublin, CA (name forgotten) where I proceeded to purchase the #6 round needles, in bamboo, and I also ordered a set of 47" round needles so I can make a mobius scarf that Cat Bhorde demos on her website. The cast-on for that is really interesting and I have been wanting to try it.

I am enjoying the world of knitting. What started out as a way to calm down and relax has turned into a passion! It is really hard to limit myself to just two projects in knitting at a time.

No comments: