I'm in the middle of repairing, for the second time, the beloved quilt of a dear friend. Our friend lives at the Community Housing associated with the Livermore Veterans Administration. More than four years ago the quilt was among a group donated to the vets by unknown (to me), generous quilters.
An original block with two red patches from the last repair.
In my quilting life, I too, have made quilts to be donated to various organizations. As I worked on Ozzy's quilt I realized that, had the maker known how treasured the quilt would become, she would have done as good a job with the quilting as she did with the piecing. The blocks and sashing were hand-pieced with beautifully small stitching. Had the quilting been done as meticulously, this quilt would have lasted much longer than it did.
The sad state of the sashing.
As I mentioned, this is the second time I have repaired this quilt. Had it originally been quilted densely, instead of quickly, the fabric would not have worn out. I can see from the wear patterns that light quilting allowed the fabric to move which created friction and eventually holes and tears on the top.
Two blocks I replaced previously with the added X quilt lines.
The last time I fixed Ozzy's quilt I quilted an X on each block. That bit of quilting kept the new blocks from wearing. But the original blocks continued their downward spiral, even with the X quilting.
I did not, last time, quilt any of the sashing. This time much of the sashing needs repair.
Patching an existing block
I replaced most of this block. The upper right corner is original.
It is awaiting quilting.
*WIP: Work in progress; replaces the negative connotation of UFO, unfinished objects.