Thursday, July 2, 2020

The Overwhelming Desire to Write and Draw

After reading Artquiltmaker's blog this morning I felt the overwhelming desire to write my blog again. I was surprised and pleased that it was still here!
Last October, in an attempt to jump start drawing I, successfully, participated in 'Inktober', an ink-along by Jake Parker. Pen and ink are not my favorite media but I completed it which made me happy.
The sad thing was I did not continue drawing much.
At the time I was teaching a class in the Delta College SICL program called Watercolor/Color Theory which forced me to study, paint and develop class content. That ended just before Thanksgiving. 
Unfortunately, due to the Covid 19 pandemic the Spring and Fall classes were cancelled. I had planned to teach Beginning Pastel in the Spring. When we thought only the Spring would be cancelled I was relieved because I would have more time to develop my rusty pastel skills. I attempted that and found that the pastel dust really aggravated my annoying allergies and asthma. As soon as I put those pesky pastels back in their boxes and in the cupboard the asthma began to get better. So no pastels for me.
June and July presented a new opportunity to draw and paint in the guise of 'Index Card a Day'. The premise is doing an index card sized (3x5) art piece a day during June and July. I have been pretty successful at that and have found it has made me think about the kind of art I love to do and to wonder why I wasn't doing it.
So, do I have you wondering what I love to do? Good! Think about what kind of art you love to do and DO IT!
Here a sample of what I love to do.

This is one of the kinds of art I love to do. It is a mural on my cousin's fence. When looking for examples of art I found that I have not downloaded any of my art to this computer! So, later today, I will struggle with that and show you my absolute favorite art in my next post.
My goal is to write once a week. I'm glad to be back and as we all know we 'elderly' have plenty of time on our hands while sheltering in place to do a little writing.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

I can't wait to hear more!!!